Calvary Episcopal Church roots go back to pre-Civil War times when on April 13, 1858, Episcopal Bishop Stephen Elliott officiated at an Episcopal service in a Methodist Church in Americus. One day later, with nine communicants present, an Episcopal Church was organized under the name of St. John's Church. However, that effort apparently was abandoned and no trace of subsequent activities has been found. In 1862, a few dedicated church women opened a Sunday school in a private residence. Sunday services were held there, and subsequently in the chapel of the Americus Female Institute in Americus and then the local Presbyterian Church. After some baptisms and confirmations, an Episcopal presence in Americus was firmly established. On Sunday, August 13, 1864, Calvary Church was officially organized by action of Bishop Elliott.
Calvary Church became an integral part of the community and the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia. The first cornerstone for Calvary Church was laid on July 1, 1869 and a church building on South Lee Street was completed in December, 1871. A small band of worshippers prevailed through several years of not having a regular rector and also carried the challenge of eliminating the construction debt. On May 6, 1883, the church was consecrated. Although small in size, Calvary Episcopal Church established its identity - through the dedication of its members - as an important factor in community life. A new church building was begun and on Easter, March 28, 1921, the congregation gathered for the first service in the new building - an architectural masterpiece that stands today. It was designed by Ralph Adams Cram, foremost Gothic church architect of the early 20th century.
The James Bolan Lawrence Parish Hall was added in 1950, named for Brother Jimmy Lawrence, rector at Calvary Church from 1905 to 1947. Brother Lawrence established a tradition of faithfulness in worship and community service that Calvary Episcopal Church is known for to this day. A Sunday School building was constructed in 1961 and the last addition until completion of the expanded church building, entrance portico, cloister, labyrinth, and gardens added in 2006.